St. Pius X Church

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Please Create A Marquee

The Legacy Project

The St. Pius X Legacy Project seeks to document the history of our parish through the voices of those who built and sustain it. We ask for your help in connecting the dots of the past, putting names with faces in archive photographs, and encouraging other parishioners to get involved in the project. 

A few copies of The Legacy Book are still available in the parish office for $15.   

Parish Timeline 

July 1954: Ten acres of Moeller Estate purchased by parishes of the Madelene and Saints Peter and Paul to build a new parish

June 6, 1955: Parish canonically established

July 10, 1955: Rev. Gerald E. Phee (d. 1971) says first parish Mass in the “barn” donated by the Moeller family

July 17, 1955: First parish baptism (Joan Marie Joyce, daughter of Joseph & Lois Joyce)

1957: First school building complete

August 1957: First class (grades 1-6?) attends St. Pius X School. Sister Catherine Henry of the Sisters of Divine Providence of San Antonio was principal.

1958: School building complete

1958: St. Pius X Phantoms win football championship (school also had track & softball teams)

1959: School building complete

1960’s: Monthly parent dances held in the barn and then in cafeteria; students could walk home for lunch; Choir originally seated behind the Altar; Annual May Crowning and Easter Egg hunts involved whole community

1960: School building complete

1961: Cafeteria building complete, Cafeteria opens and is run by Pernie Colley

1961: Bishop Kelley High School opens, Fr. Phee drives students from Moeller Heights to high school in the St. Pius X bus

1963: School building complete

May 28, 1963: Bishop Victor Reed says Mass for groundbreaking of St. Pius X Church (estimated cost of $220,000).

August 6, 1964: Dedication of St. Pius X Church

1964: School building complete

1965: Sister Mary Martin wrote St. Pius X School Song and dedicated it to Fr. Phee

1967: Rev. William J. Swift named pastor of then largest parish in Oklahoma

1975: Rev. Harry S. Bartnik named pastor (d. 2000)

October 8, 1978: Parish celebrates “burning of the mortgage”

1980: Kindergarten added (teacher Judy Davis?)

July 1982: Activity Center with full-court gym complete

1983: Rev. Dennis C. Dorney named pastor

19jQuery18309478769485314142_1487698152167: St. Pius X School Endowment started

1995: Math and Computer Lab addition complete, Pre-School opened

1995: Rev. Thomas M. Hildebrand named pastor

1996: St. Pius X School awarded Blue Ribbon designation

19jQuery18305429471370637353_1489676433824: Playground constructed

November 3, 2004: Father Tom suffers fatal heart attack in the rectory

2005: Rev. Michael J. Knipe named pastor

2005: Sunday Spanish Mass added

June 2011: Rev. Gary Kastl named pastor

November 2011: Rev. Matthew Gerlach named pastor

201?: “Defenders” adopted as St. Pius X School mascot (years of previous mascots?)

2012: Capital Campaign to build a new school launched

2015: New pre-school and elementary building complete

August 23, 2016: Bishop David Konderla dedicates Phase 2 including new middle school, administration offices and music room at annual Feast Day

May 2018: Father Richard Bradley named pastor