On Saturday, December 9th, St. Pius X installed a painting of Our Lady of Guadalupe behind the altar. Monsignor Eduardo Chavez donated the image, blessed by Pope Francis, from Mexico City. Bishop Emeritus Slattery, who presided at the bilingual Mass of installation, encouraged pilgrims to come to the parish and pray. He asserted that those who pray and meditate on the mysteries of the Holy Rosary in front of the image will receive an indulgence.
The image will remain a permanent fixture in the Church, serving to honor the patroness of the Americas.
Learn more about how Our Lady appeared to Juan Diego in Mexico in 1531 at the link below.
http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=456 Source: Catholic Online